Each requirement on the following list has been debated and approved by everyone in the class. Let us know what you think!
Food and Farms Organic Standards
- Herbivores cannot eat meat.
- Farm animals that produce dairy, meat, and /or eggs must have open outdoor grassy pasture.
- Food cannot travel more than 500 miles from the site of production to the site of consumption. This includes each ingredient in multi-ingredient prepared foods.
- No synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers can be used.
- No genetically-modified organisms (GMOs) can be used.
- No antibiotics or hormones can be given to livestock.
- Farmers must rotate crops yearly.
- No artificial ripening of fruits and vegetables.
- If a farm is pictured on a food package, the picture must be of a farm that produced at least one of the ingredients in the food product.
- All ingredients must be listed, including the components of "spices" and "natural flavoring."